Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

RAV4 limited: I need to replace the plastic piece that goes

Customer Question

I need to replace the plastic piece that goes around the passenger side rear view mirror on a 2014 Toyota RAV4. It is a black piece.
How do I do that?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I am a little unclear as to which piece you're trying to replace as part of the mirror. Can you post a photograph of the part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are two pictures of the mirror. As you can see, our mirror was hit by a white car which left its mark and broke the black plastic piece around the mirror. That is the piece I want to replace and need to know how to do that.Thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijfslyalbn1isjh/20150719_090353.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aic027zf8j4az5p/20150719_090322.jpg?dl=0
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that inner portion around the mirror glass is not available separate from the mirror assembly. The Glass the outer front casing and the lower light /trim are the only pieces that are available. The mirror will have to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the question was how do I replace the plastic piece. If I can't then tell me how I replace the mirror.
I am not happy with you taking 20.00 out of my account when you said you would only take out 5.00 until I was totally satisfied. I still am not totally satisfied and want the 15.00 put back into my account. Then tell me how to replace my mirror and if I am satisfied at that time I will tell you and you can take the 15.00 out.Thank you
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Please do not reprimand me for the funds from your account. I'm simply a subcontractor/Toyota expert supplying you with information. Any accounting issues or discrepancies would have to be taken up with the website. I do not know how they remove funds from your account no monies have been transferred to me or paid to me until you are satisfied with the information and rate the information at three or higher. Please standby I will gather some information on how to remove the mirror assembly. The piece that appears to be broken in the image that you sent me as I mentioned is not serviceable separate from the entire assembly.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
In order to remove the mirror the inside triangle black plastic cover needs to be popped off to expose the three bolts that hold the mirror to the door frame. That is the easy part. The wire harness on this mirror goes down inside behind the door panel. You can pop the front edge of the door panel loose and if you have small fingers and are able to work and tight places use a 90° pick to go down and release the lock tab on the electrical connector to pull it up out from behind the door panel. If you cannot access this by popping the front edge of the door panel loose the door panel will have to be removed. In order to do that the master window switch has to be removed you use a small plastic prybar to pop up the front edge of the master window switch then work your way back long the switch to release it from the door panel. Then there is a long bezel or trim piece that goes all the way up the door handle and across the top use a plastic prybar starting at the top work your way down and over to remove this plastic trim panel this will expose the two screws that hold the door panel to the door. Then inside the actual door lock/release handle is a small triangle shape plastic cover use a plastic prybar or small screwdriver to pop this cover off. There is a small screw in behind that plastic cover.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Once you have the three screws removed then reach along the bottom side of the door panel and sharply pull out to pop the door panel loose from the actual door skin itself. Work your way along the bottom and upbeat side once all the clips are removed or popped free push up on the door panel and it will release from the upper edge by the window glass.