Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Tocoma: , I have a 2002 Tocoma 2WD. It has the Toyota Southeast

Customer Question

HI, I have a 2002 Tocoma 2WD. It has the Toyota Southeast TDS alarm system. Fobs don't work, alarm goes off by itself randomly or gets activated by some other vehicle's alarm system. I just want to REMOVE the thing. Any ideas where I can get a list of instructions to do that?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if there is a small, flat black box under the Driver side seat. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The only thing under the seat - other than trash ;) - are wires related to the power seat controls. I am confident this is the TDS alarm system installed by "Toyota Southeast" (upon arrival at the Jacksonville port). If it makes a difference, the full model is the "Tacoma Xtracab 2WD". The 'boomerang' fob has not been reliable for several years and we don;t set the alarm any more. In the past, the unit has randomly gone off for no apparent reason. The worst problem is leaving the vehicle with the alarm OFF, then returning to find the alarm ACTIVE, which goes off as soon as the door is opened. It is then necessary (90% of the time) to manually reset using the ignition switch on-off-on-off-on-off sequence while holding the button down. 10% of the time, the alarm will not reset and the battery must be disconnected. I have also had occasions when a service tech did not properly reconnect the battery (after replacement, etc.) and the alarm is triggered when the battery cable slips off while driving. Basically, the alarm system is useless and no longer serves it's purpose - I just want to get rid of it. Thank you for your assistance.
OK. You have the "SET" Toyota system. SET is a standalone subsidary of Toyota. We northerners do not have access to SET files. But, there is a way...
YOu need to remove the lower panel to expose the back side of the ignition cylinder. Here you will find a wire connector attached to the cylinder. Unplug it. Real close to thsi connector, you will find an identical connector. Plug this one onto the ignition switch. Follow the sube harness that is connected to the connector you unplugged. Working towards the driver side under the dash, unplug any connectors that are part of this harness. These other connector are identical to the factory harness. Just keep unplugging the subharness connections (where it interfaces with the factory harness)...As you unplug the subharness, plug the factory connection back to where they would go (there are not duplicates here, each connector is unique). Eventually you will come to a box. This is the controller. It, and the harness connected to it all needs to come out. There may be a wire hooked under the steering column; if so just undo the connection and remove the wire.
In short, there is a controller box and a sub harness. The sub harness plugs into the the existing factory harness in several places as it strings to the ignition switch. As long as you do each connector one at a time whilst removing the sub harness, and plug the factory connections back to where theyu go (the factory harness is really close to hwere it needs to be put after being disconnected form the sub harness, once you get the controller and sub harness disconnected, you should be OK. Some systems have a piezoelectric 'chirper' under the hood, a red and black wire. Just cut is and yank it tho the engine compartment and pull it chirper out.
You will need to remove the lower finish panel from under the driver side of the dashboard before you can attempt any of this. Once you see what I am describing, it will not seem so foreign to you. It is just hard to tell you how to do it step by step...If we had the instructions, it would be a lot easier.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer