Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota iQ (Automatic): there, My AUTOMATIC Toyota iQ

Customer Question

Hi there,
My AUTOMATIC Toyota iQ (2009) needs a whole new engine as the crankshaft has broken. The car makes a very loud rattling sound (due to a lack of oil) and now won't work at all. The garage are worried that metal shavings have got into the oil system and now needs a replacement engine.
I have found a replacement engine on eBay, however the garage are worried that it looks too rusty and that because it originally came from a MANUAL Toyota iQ, it won't fit an AUTOMATIC Toyota iQ (apparently you can tell the difference by the fly-wheel???).
Here is the eBay link of the engine I found:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-IQ-1-0-LTR-1KR-FE-28-000-MILES-ENGINE-TO-FIT-2009-TILL-2012-/251970466413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aaa9c326d
My question is, does a manual Toyota iQ engine work in the automatic version?
Many thanks,
My Vehicle details:
Vehicle make: TOYOTA iQ (2009)
Cylinder capacity: 998cc
Fuel type: PETROL
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the vehicle identification number available? Are you in the United States?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The id is YH59YCN. No, I'm in the UK.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the 17 digit vehicle identification number? That ID number doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's JTNM11030J041662
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I keep hitting a wall it must be this is a UK production Toyota IQ. I can't find any information on this engine for this model and vehicle identification number. I will opt out maybe there's a UK Toyota expert online that may be able to assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. From experience, do think a manual Toyota engine would normally fit an automatic car?
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Different expert here. When trying to fit an automatic transmission designed engine into a car with a manual transmission, the replacement engine will not work, as the manual crankshaft is drilled to accept a pilot bushing where the input shaft of the transmission fits. A manual engine will fit up to an automatic trans axle, because there is no need for the pilot pushing on the auto trans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So if I bought a manual engine for my automatic Toyota iQ, it should work ok?
I have put manual Toyota engines into automatic vehicles many times. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.