Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camary LE: 1988 toyota camry LE had tune up tps sensor replaced

Customer Question

1988 toyota camry LE had tune up tps sensor replaced new fuel filter still hesitates after40mph and chugs
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to JUst Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A TPS sensor will usually not be the cause of a misfire. More often than not, the distributor cap, rotor and wires are the problem here. Premium gas will not make any difference, in all honesty, the car will perfom just a teeny bit worse because the engine is not designed to use the octane rating of premium gas (the combustion chamber design works best with 89 octane). If all of your parts are good (plugs/cap/rotor/wires), I would recommend you consider investigating the timing belt. When a belt gets older/more miles on it, it stretches. This changes the timing interval between the cam and the crankshaft. Even the smalles amount of stretch will cause the cam to not be exactly where it needs to be when the pistons are in the proper position when the spark occurs. If this car was in our shop, I would be pulling the timing cover off and looking at the condition of the timing belt. Most likely, you need to replace the timing belt to rectify this issue. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer