Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2005 toyota tundra 4.7L, my son hit the negative terminal

Customer Question

2005 toyota tundra 4.7L, my son hit the negative terminal on the positive terminal and now when you turn the key i get one click. Battery is good, all lights work
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
starter has been replaced
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Did you confirm that there are no blown fuses anywhere? Typically when the vehicle gets jumped backwards or the battery cables get hooked up backwards it only blows fuses. Specially check the large box type fuses 100 amp in larger. The ALT fuse is known to pop. Let me know what you find with the fuses then we can go from here. The larger fuses and if this style is the strip style fuse with multiple fuses in one link in a busbar they are bolted to the fuse block and the fuse block has to be disassembled in order to replace these fuses. Let me know how goes it we can continue from here. If you can post an audio clip of the single click noise that your hearing that would be helpful. Also when the key is in the on position is the yellow check engine light illuminated along with all of the rest of the warning lights? Did you check the electrical components such as the wipers headlights heater and so on it does all that work along with the radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All interior lights and operations work. The check engine light is on, but after I used my code reader, it identified it as a loose coolant plug and i fixed it.The large fuses we don't know how to check, they appear through there glass windows to be good, but not sure. When the power on both sides of them is removed via 10mm bolts, nothing changes in the sound of the click, everything stays the same. So whether they are connected or not, same result. Leading me to believe they are the issue. I am referring to the wide rectangular ones sticking up towards the back of the pictures.Can these be removed/replaced? I tried to remove them but no luck, cant seem to get them out. And are these the source of my issues?I recorded a sound clip of the click but this website will not take it. Only wmv and I have it as a mp3 and a mp4.
Its basically 1 solid clicking sound.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I do not see any file with the audio clip?? Do you have a voltmeter to check specific voltages or even a simple 12 V test light to check the voltages at specific fuses that I need you to look at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to bring the truck in to a auto electric shop, they indicated it was the body control module and said they could rebuild it, the cost is 700, not sure how much they are new. I was in need of the vehicle and had no choice.
your comments
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I have never seen one of these fail even after a jumpstart backwards or terminal cross at the battery. I would be suspicious and I have never heard of rebuilding a body ECU. Did you get the part number of the body ECU that they are going to rebuild?