Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2007: I have a 2007 Rav4. Battery light started flashing intermittenl

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Rav4. Battery light started flashing intermittenly. I've had it in to the mechanic 5 times and last time he supposedly replaced the alternator and the battery. Now it seems to be running sluggish, battery light has flashed a few times over the course of a week but now my maintenance light is coming on when I start the car - I'm so frustrated and leery of driving!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. When the battery light flashes does it stay one for any extended period of time? Do you know how to turn the maintenance light out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it usually just stays on for a second or two, but before I brought it in the last time - I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and it stayed on for a full minute (approx). When I brought it in again - he said he replaced alt. and battery - again - but as I said - now it seems to be running sluggishly and maintenance light came on this morning - stayed on for 20 sec. and then went out. My concern is still the flashing battery light that seems to come on randomly.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The maintenance light is not a major problem. That just needs to be reset by putting the trip meter on trip A turn the key off then turn the key back on while holding in depressing the trip a button and monitor the countdown on the display and it will reset the light. Do you have a voltmeter or any test equipment to run a couple of voltage checks or you just looking for some general ideas as to what could be going on with the battery light? Is it only the battery warning light or are you getting other warning lights illuminated also?