Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

T100 toyota: 1993 toyota t100 3.0 v6. Have replaced fp fuel

Customer Question

1993 toyota t100 3.0 v6. Have replaced fp fuel filter fuel regulator and vafm. Truck will start and die after 2 seconds of running. Checked injectors with key off power of 12 volts both sides. Key on 12 volts both sides cranking 12 volts on black wire but .3-4 on white wire. White wire is suppose to pulse ground while cranking. If I pour gas into throttle body truck runs fine
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If it starts and runs on poured gasoline, we have a fuel pump problem or no power going to the fuel pump.
If you would like, we can do a quick test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have power to fuel pump. Even wire it direct plenty of fuel.
You have fuel pressure when the engine cranks?
I do not understand....You have 'plenty of fuel' but it wont run unless you pour gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump does run when cranking. I put on a brand new in line fuel pump because i have a fuel cell in the bed truck started doing this 15 years ago and it was parked in a field
The fuel pump runs when cranking. But you need to pour gas into the throttle body to get it to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck will start but immediately die without pouring gas into throttle body. If I pour gas in throttle body it will run fine
Ah. Ok. Now we are on the same page.
On this vehicle, Toyota uses a relay to control the fuel pump operation. Let's bypass it for a few seconds. Is the truck available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Let's go out to the truck and raise the hood. Locate the diagnostic connector in the engine...small rectangular plastic box with a lid. Open the lid and look under the lid. There should be a label. Look for the following sockets: FpB+ Take a paper clip and insert the paperclip securely, jumping Fp and B+ The fuel pump should run. Then try to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same situation starts then immediately dies
Please retry. You may not have the contact proper between B+ and FP.
Or you may not have voltage in B+. Can you run a wire form the Positive terminal to FP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump is running it is in the back of the truck by the fuel tank can see gas coming from my return line back to the tank
ok. This means you have no injector pulse. Your truck is starting off of the cold start injector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds about what i have been thinking what connector or pin on the ecu do i need to check i know it is suppose to pulse a ground but i can't figure out which one it is
On this vehicle, the injector pulse comes from the crank angle sensor in the distributor. This causes the computer to pulse the ground wire at the injectors. You cannot measure the ground pulses with a DVOM, you need a special tool we call a "Noid Light" to see the pulses. More than likely, replacing the distributor would be what I would do it this truck was in my shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will grab one tomorrow and see if that fixes it and I will get back to you
Ok. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not got one yet but when I do I will let you know
ok