Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2l automatic 291k miles. I

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2l automatic 291k miles. I was having idle problems after car was warmed up when coming to a stop at traffic lights unless I revved engine prior to stopping problem disappeared when the flex pipe before the catalytic converter broke the car even had a lot more git up and go / power. I had no engine lights before or after the pipe broke. Once I had the flex pipe fixed the idle issue came back and the car had a noticable loss of power. Is it possible the catalytic converter and or muffler are plugged up? I drove the car for 2 months before I could get the flex pipe fixed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
With the symptoms described, as well as the restoration of power and the idle issue clearing up when the flex pipe broke, there is no doubt that the catalytic converter is restricted. It is also possible if the converter broke apart on the inside, that a piece of converter is lodged in the exhaust pipe after the converter or in the muffler.
The converter, intermediate pipe and muffler need to be dropped and inspected for restrictions and replaced as needed.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks