Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Sequoia: . I just replaced the starter on my 2002 sequoia.

Customer Question

hello. I just replaced the starter on my 2002 sequoia. that was fun. it started and sounds normal but there is still a click once in awhile before the starter engages. relay?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A single click noise when starting, and the starter does not energize and spin the engine, can usually be attributed to two things. One is a worn ignition switch (rare). The other is excess clearance between the contacts in the starter solenoid. It is (unfortunately) very common to get an 'aftermarket' starter that has bad contacts in it. One time, in our shop, a customer supplied us with a starter he wanted replaced. We bolted it on Same job as yours, fun)...Clicks. No start. Took the starter back. Got another. Same thing. Clicks. This is not cool to do 4 times in a row. But, we got 4 starters and all 4 of them were bad. As much as I hate to say it, this sounds like your replacement starter's solenoid contacts are either worn, the plunger is pitted (this is what the contacts make contact with), or the whole starter solenoid is not operating properly. In any case, sadly, It looks like you need to pull your intake back off and get another starter. Sorry. I wish I had better news for you, but, our job here as experts providing the best assistance possible, we have to be 100% honest. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer