Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyoto Highlander: The heat sometimes works on my 2001 Highlander.

Customer Question

The heat sometimes works on my 2001 Highlander. Fiddling with the temperature control knob will temporary fix the problem. This problem effects the air conditioner and heater temperature.I need to know how to fix the problem and how to remove the control panel to access the repairs.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for postingWhat happens on these sometimes is that the temp control knob becomes loose, if it feels loose, pull the knob off and tighten the shaft nut, this is the ground connection for the control panel, if that doesn't help either the control panel has to be replaced or removed and disassembled to replace the ribbon cable, which is usually the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think this may be a temporary fix and the selected heat setting could revert back to being dis functional in the cold Canadian winter. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime.
The air conditioner cold setting seams to be working now but I need more operation time to see if it continues to work properly.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply,If the mounting nut for the control was loose it solves the problem in most cases if there was a problem with the ground connection inside it would show up right away.