Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Camry: Recently had to change the battery in my son's

Customer Question

Recently had to change the battery in my son's 1998 Camry. Now when he starts the car the hazzard lights flash, the dash lights flash. This goes on for about 60 seconds then stops for a few seconds and then does it again. After that everything seems fine. Any idea what is wrong?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for postingIt sounds like there was an aftermarket alarm system installed in the past that has now activated, first try doing this:With key out of the ignition remove the negative battery cableInsert the key and turn it to the On positionleave the door openreconnect the batteryenter the car, close the door and try to startIf this doesn't work I'll need a little more information as to what type of alarm it has, the procedure I gave works most of the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First let me state that I am sure you are on to something here with this issue we do notice that there now is a red LED in the dash that we never noticed before because now it blinks off and on and it never did before. We did try your suggestion above and the results are still the same. If this has an after market security system installed it must have been done sometime before we bought the car used. Since I know nothing about security systems, I have no idea how to find out what type or brand of alarm was installed. Any suggestions on how I can find that information for you?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replyThere are a couple od different systems that were used, the blinking LED indicates the system has armed, is there a small toggle switch mounted in the left kickpanel? If there is make sure it is switched to OFF. On some the or there is a separate button for the the LED itself that can be pushed and held in while key is turned on until the light goes steady on.If all fails, lock and unlock the driver's side door five times.