sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Toyota Prado 4 cylinder: . My Toyota Prado 4 cylinder 2006

Customer Question

Hi. My Toyota Prado 4 cylinder 2006 model has been working fine all anong, until recently. There is sound coming especially when reversing. When taking off from a stationary position i can feel a slight jerk. I took it to Toyota and the mechanic stated that it was mainly worn control arm bushes and shocks. Am not convinced because the noise is present even when the car when u engage the gears even when the handbrake is on, when the car is not moving.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The shocks may very well need to be replaced but they probably aren't what is causing the noise when put into gear. Shocks would usually cause a noise over bumps and aren't' really moving when you just put the trans in gear.
The control arm bushings are very possibly the cause of the noise though. When you put it in gear and engine torque is applied, if there is a loose control arm bushing then it will allow the control arm to move and will definitely cause a noise.