Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a rav 4 1995 he don t want to start i have no spark

Customer Question

i have a rav 4 1995 he don t want to start i have no spark on plugs and the gas pomp doesn t work my model doesn t have the position crankshaft sensor ,the only signal who send to the calculator is from the ignition coil
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin number; sxa110087106
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 doors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ignition coil is into the ignition head
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Since you have no spark or fuel pump operation, I would suspect one of the following:Failed 15 amp EFI fuseFailed EFI relayFailed 7.5 amp IGN fuseFailed 20 amp AM2 fusefailed 80 amp MAIN fuse (this is a big fuse with a clear plastic 'window' in the fuse panel under the hood) If your vehicle was in my shop, the above is what I would be checking first If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do all the points you gave me and every check are good and still don t want a start
Check to see if you have power on two sockets with the EFI relay removed with the key on the ON position. You should have battery voltage in 2 of the 4 holes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have voltage on one when the key is off and two when the key is on
A question and a test:
Does the engine crank over faster than it used to?
Please remove a wire connector at a fuel injector and see if you have power in the Black/Orange wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems he want to start but i have no spark and there is no voltage at the pump because there is no voltage comin to the pump relay who in front the efi relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i check the relay pump wire and this wire give also voltage on the air co pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mg/c relay
Pull the Circuit Opening Relay. it is under the dash. Across from the turn signal flasher. Turn on a turn signal and look for the clicking noise. The relay to the left is the C-O relay. The C=O relay is what turns on the fuel pump
You should have power on two of the 4 sockets (relay pulled) with the key in the on position. If you have power, replace the Circuit opening relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next to the flasher relay there is a brown relay ,this one have only on voltage (the key on) and the violet one have voltage on two plug for the clickin noise its cofuse i hear but i don t real feal them when i put fingers on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i change the relay from a car who s work to be sure its not the relays
The one that does NOT click with the turn signals on is the C-O relay. It SHOULD click when you turn the key on. You should have power in t2 of the 4 cockets under the C-O relay. If not, you need to identify which wire color is not powered. You should have power in the Black/Orange wire and the Black/Red wire. If you find the Blue/Black wire behind, the C-O relay, and you manually put 12 volts to it via a wire hooked to 12 volts, the fuel pump should run. If the fuel pump does NOT run when you apply voltage to the Black/Blue wire, you have a broken wire between the C-O relay and the fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the co relay is one next to the flasher (brown) he has power on the big green wire and the one not powered is the big red wire who across the green wire ,the two other one are small section one green with pink spot and the other is red with pink spot.for the clic i does like you said its when i turn the key on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i try know with the fuel relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
behind the co relay there is red/white wire who seems to be the main power ,blue /black and black/ blue who connect to the 4th cockets ,i try to powered manually the blue /black and the relay click but the pump doesn t work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the red/ white is not powered when the key on
The CO relay has 4 wires.Black/Orange. This is power IN from the 7.5 IGN fuseBlack/Red. This is power IN from the EFI RelayGreen/Red. This is the ground wire applied form the fuel injection computerBlue/Black. This is power out of the CO relay to the fuel pump. Make sure your wires match these exactly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the colors are good and i powered the blue/black and the pump works but there is still not spark on plugs
Look for power on the Black/Orange wire at the ignition coil and the Igniter assembly
Black/orange wire at the igniter Both wires should have power with the key on and the engine cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power on black/orange when i put the negative on batt for the igniter 5 cockets, 2 are negative and 3 positive with one of them has 5 volt power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say igniter this is the igniter key or the module on the hood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i try the black orange on igniter key and its ok ,i try black orange on ignition coil who's in the ignition head and ok,when i try to test the coil directly on + and - and no power,when i put the - on batt it has power
This is starting to sound like you need either a distributor or a crankshaft position sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no crankshaft position sensor ,i bought a new ignition coil and it doesn t work could be the complet distributor?
yes. The sensor contained inside the distributor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next to the ignition coil who in the distributor there is a kind of condensor could be that?or the sensor inside the distributor so better change complet distributor
The condenser is to absorb the secondary voltage spike. It would not cause a no spark condition. I'm leaning on a bad distributor, or a bad ECU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what ecu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the distributor sensor give power on pump and ignition coil?
The fuel injection computer. It uses the signals form the distributor to make the plugs and injectors fire. It's under the dash on the passenger side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what you suggest, buy a new distributor? if it doesn't work send the ecu to repair?
I would look into a good used distributor if you can find one... Then the ECu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its difficult to find parts on my little island especialy my model who's old have you contact?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you hnow a dealer in miami will be perfect
I would look on eBay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we keep in touch ,how i recontact you ?
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-toyotaservice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ll contact you on monday to hnow if i got a distributor
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and i tell you THANKS you are really helpful
You are very welcome. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated.