Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Have 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS. Will be driving and when slowing down a

Customer Question

Have 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS. Will be driving and when slowing down and down shifting into 3rd gear car stops with
no warning. Mechanic did test strip and showed oxygen sensor, but he still wasn't sure if that was the problem.
Have any other Toyota of this make had this problem or any other problems?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. AN oxygen sensor failure will not cause a total engine stall. The computer is designed to go into a pre-programmed mode (we call the 'limp mode'). So, I am skeptical that the oxygen sensor is the problem. There are several possibilities that could cause this, all of which would be speculation without further diagnosis. Based on it only happens in 3rd gear, my initial hypothesis would be tha tthe crankshaft is moving away a bit from the crank position sensor. We call the 'crankshaft walk'). If this is the case, this would show up on the real time diagnosis if the Toyota scan tool was attached to the vehicle and road tested. When the problem occurs, there should be a marked drop in one of the engine sensors ( I would be looking at the crank shaft input). The recommendation I have for you on this request is to go to a Toyota dealership service department and get the car road tested with the Toyota scan tool attached to the computer interface. A good tech will monitor the inputs and readings. Realistically, this is the only way to get to the cause of this issue. We could waste money on oxygen sensors, but that will not cure the issue. You are losing a critical input that is causing the stall condition. I would also recommend that you forego independent shops on thsi diagnosis; most non-Toyota scanners cannot extrapolate the critical real-time data that your tech needs to see to discover where the loss of signal is occurring. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer