Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Just bought a 2005 Corolla. Has a groaning sound at all speeds.

Customer Question

Just bought a 2005 Corolla. Has a groaning sound at all speeds. Sounds like it speeds up and slows down with speed of the car. The best way I can describe the sound is if the car had big nobby off road tires on it. The wheel bearings were just replaced on the front if that helps.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Stacy Farist replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for using justanswer.com. Ill be glad to assist.When you get up to speed have you tried to sway the car back and forth to see if the pitch changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not but will do and let you know. Anything else I can try? I am fairly mechanically inclined so don't hold back. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I have seen new bearings fail. these front bearings are press in. sometimes they can be pressed too tight or incorrectly. some people overtighten the axle nut which can cause them to fail prematurely. Also an easy way to tell if it is a bearing is to jack up the car spin the tire while holding the strut. A slight vibration can be felt if bad. If you do not notice a pitch change while test driving. I would investigate the rear bearings. Good Luck.Please rate my answer positive. You can still ask me questions on this matter after you have rated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will check it out. How long do I have before this question will be closed? If it's not the wheel bearings I'm hoping we can pursue other options.
Ill leave it open. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Stacy- checked all the wheel bearings. Lifted the car up and spun the wheels with tires on and off. I confirmed that the front wheel bearings and brakes were done. I couldn't detect anything strange. Please advise as to what to check for next. Motor mounts, tyranny etc.Thanks Bill
Ok are you able to tell if it's the front or rear of vehicle? If it's the left or right side. Is it a constant noise. Can you describe the noise? Grinding, buzzing,squealing, roaring? How do the tires look? Any cupping? High and low spots in the tires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to isolate sound to front or back. It sounds like if I put big nobby truck tires on. The sound slows down and speeds up with the movement of the car. Sounds like a really low rummble groaning sound. When I turn the steering wheel back and fourth while driving it doesn't change. At low speeds 5-10 mph it rattles the dash. The tires look very newish no uneven wear. It's almost sounds like the tire is rubbing on something but no evidence of that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take pictures of whatever and send them to you if that would help?
Does the steering wheel move back and forth at slow speeds? Will the noise go away if you are driving and shift to neutral? How are the wheel well liners and other plastic covers around the tire?
This almost sounds like a separated tire from what you are describing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put the car in neutral while driving no change. Steering wheel does not vibrate at lows speeds. I also checked for anything that could be rubbing in the wheel wells. Couldn't find anything there either. Not sure where to go from here?
Kinda at aloss on this one. Doesnt make sense to only make noise while wheels are moving to not be a bearing or tire. I will opt out for someone else to try. Sorry I couldnt help. Dont respond or it will lock it up back to me. Good luck.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Different expert here. If all of the wheel bearing are good (and verified via the use of a mechanic's stethescope, not by turning the wheels, I woudl suspect that you have a noisy output bearing in the transmission. The thing to do here would be to raise the car up on a hoist, and, with the mechanic's stethescope, probe the wheel hub areas and the transmission with the scope. Do this with someone in the car and the car in gear, about 20 MPH on the hoist. Also look to see if this car has a bearin ghtat holds the passenger side front axle in place on a mounting bracket. (some have it, some do not). These bearings are known to fail too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. That's far out of the realm of anything I can do in my garage. How much do you think this should cost at a local shop. Just ball park figure. Thanks
If this car was in our shop, We would be charging you one hour's worth of diagnostic time. Our labor rate is 100 dollars per hour. Other shops (independents) are usually a lot less. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer