Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2006: my 2006 highlander hybrid at 160,000 miles just flashed

Customer Question

my 2006 highlander hybrid at 160,000 miles just flashed 2 messages:
check hybrid system &
check VSC system.
Is the car safe to drive and what do these warning lights mean?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. As long as it is running/driving Ok, I would think it safe to drive, but you really need to take it in for diagnosis. Most likely, you have a problem with the VSC section of the car, which may cause the Check Hybrid light to come on too. Without getting the car on my scanner, I cannot tell you exactly what the problem is for sure; I would recommend you get the vehicle scanned as soon as you can however. My initial feeling is they may fins a wheel speed sensor issue is the root cause (we see this quite a bit in the shop), but remember, I cannot be sure of this without a scan and the results of the scan. I would not go and start replacing parts. Get a scan and go from there.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer