Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Tacoma: , i kinda have the same problem and someone told

Customer Question

Hi , i kinda have the same problem and someone told me that problem can be solved with a Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure with the scan tool? Is this true
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to JUst Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I have been with Toyota for 20 years and have never heard of the 'crankshaft variation Learn Procedure". If you are getting a P0336, and the sensor is new and functioning properly, I would, if this vehicle was in my shop, pulling the front cover back off and examining the reluctor gear that fits on the crankshaft. It may be on backwards (common), it may be cracked (common) have a bad tooth (rare but possible) or the crankshaft is moving longitudinally back and forth in the block. The reluctor is a toothed gear that the crank sensor reads; it counts the teeth on the reluctor. Any time the sensor encounters a signal and then the signal is lost (bad tooth, crack, etc) the system sets the code. The code does not tell you that the sensor is bad, the code tells you the CIRCUIT has a problem. This sounds a lot like the reluctor is the cause.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer