Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

Lincoln town car: what causes unintended sudden acceleration

Customer Question

what causes unintended sudden acceleration in lincoln town car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.
There is currently a class action lawsuit in the works alleging that Ford vehicles "contain a "design defect" in the electronic control of the gas pedals, making them susceptible to sudden, unintended acceleration."
The problem is most likely in the programming. Ford should have included a "brake over throttle" control strategy. What this means is if the brakes and the throttle are both applied, the brakes will override the throttle and cancel out the throttle command.
This can happen both from mechanical failures and driver error and brakes should always have priority.
Mechanical problems include stuck throttles, cruise control actuators malfunctioning, and interference with the throttle linkage (for example, floor mats that jam the gas pedal forward).
Driver error includes stepping on both the gas pedal and the brake pedal at the same time.
Ford has recently changed the programming so that brakes are first priority.
Did this happen to you? Where there any injuries or damage caused by it?
Please let me know. I'll help you any way that I can on this.
DJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what canny mechanic do to prevent from occurring?
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Ford would have to recall the vehicle and reprogram the controller to prevent this from happening again. At this point Ford is stating the problem doesn't exist.
But that could change so call Ford at 1-***-***-**** and give them your vehicle ID number and have them check for recalls.
There is something that you can do to prevent accidents. Whenever this happens, you need to slap the shifter into neutral. The engine will rev up but you will be able to stop and steer. Don't shut the key off. If you do, you loose power steering and power brakes and it will be difficult to control the car.
Find an empty parking lot and practice putting the car into neutral while your moving. Get to the point where you can do it without looking or even thinking about it. It won't cause any damage and it could save your life.
File a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This is how recalls get started. It only takes about 5 minutes.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
DJ