Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have replaced the front brakes on my Sienna. The van has

Customer Question

I have replaced the front brakes on my Sienna. The van has 126,000 miles on it and I live in Phoenix, AZ - so gets REALLY hot. In looking at the caliper pins the bushings are degraded and i am replacing them along with the dust boots. I have been using
a Synthetic Caliper Grease by VersaChem (part # *****). I wonder if this Synthetic Caliper Grease is degrading the bushing? The Toyota Repair Manual calls for a Lithium soap based glycol grease but I am finding that specific type of grease hard to find, even
the parts department of local dealership says their shop uses it but they do not sell it. So the questions: 1) is the VersaChem Synthetic Caliper Grease causing the degradation or are they just old from the heat? 2) how often should the caliper pin bushings
be changed? 3) where can I find the Lithium soap based glycol grease?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The caliper pin neoprene is easily attacked by excessive heat. I would not think that the synthetic grease is causing any harm, as we use all kinds of different greases in the shop... some techs like synthetic, others like the conventional hi-temp brake grease. Neither choice has shown significant degradation of the rubber. Since you live in a hot area, the pins do not need to be changed as often as those who live where snow and salt treated roads are driven on. In your case, once every 4rd or 5th brake pad replacement. or if they appear rusty. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you were to suggest a Silicone based grease what would it be?
Personally, I like the 24115 Permatex Caliper Lube; this is High-Temp Silicone stuff