Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Seqouia: I ws going uphill and it started to rattle evertime

Customer Question

I ws going uphill and it started to rattle evertime i press the gas . then it heated up nd started smoking.
I stopped and popped the hood and there seemed to be some liquid that sprayed . (Yellowish )
I was 2 hours from home so i went to a shop got some cooliant . added it. Didnt help. I was able to get 1 minute max of driving before the rattle came back and it would over heat and smoke.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Anytime you have an overheat condition, the problem needs immediate attention. Without looking at it in person, I am hesitant to say exactly what is wrong. I can, however, share some input with you that may help. These engines are noted for small water pump leaks. Over time, once the coolant seeps out to a specific level, there is not enough coolant volume in the system. The lost coolant is replaced by air. The water pump cannot pump air thru the system; normally, the air pocket tends to migrate to the water pump area where the pump does not pump coolant, it simply spins and cavitates the air (makes bubbles). The bubbles that do go thru the system do not cool the engine. Thusly your engine overheats. You could also have a thermostat that is stuck in the closed position. This too would cause an overheat condition very quickly. Same with a pin hole in a radiator or heater hose. This too will allow the coolant level to drop and the above air pocket condition is caused. I cant say exactly what you have here, but the water pump seeping is the most common problem The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the water pump visually inspected. Then have the system pressure tested, inspect for any visible leaks. If no seepage is noted at the pump, and no leaks are found, replace the thermostat. If you see any pink colored crystals anywhere around the bottom of the pump, you need a new water pump. It is important that you do not drive the vehicle in an overheat condition too long or too far, you run the risk of causing overheat damage to the head gaskets. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer