Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camry: had a bad alternator, replaced it now car wont crank.

Customer Question

had a bad alternator, replaced it now car wont crank. tested the new alternator it good, tested battery its good, tested starter its good, swaped 12v starter relay no go. tried spare key no go...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the car will not crank. I would first look for a couple of blown fuses. Specifically, fuses labeled ad AM1 and AM2. One is under the dash in the fuse panel on the driver side (AM1) and the other, AM2, is in the fuse panel under the hood. If these fuses are blown, the car will not crank. If you are handy with a test light of voltmeter, you can easily check the power coming to the starter with the key in the Start position. Pull the smallest wire off of the starter and check for voltage withthe key in Start position. You should have battery voltage. If not, you have an open circuit in the electrical pat from the battery to the key to the starter wire. Am1 and Am2 control this power. AM1 powers the coil side of the Starter relay and AM2 powers the contact side of the starter relay. You can also check for power in the starter relay socket. You should have power in 2 of the four sockets (relay removed) with the key in the Start position. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not an AM 1 or AM 2 fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all fuses all test out. Relay shows 8.97
You need to see full battery voltage in the relay socket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if I don't what does that mean?
That means you have poor battery connections or the battery is severely discharged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the 120 fuse all is working. Replacing that fuse required complete dissacembly of the fuse box. Then had access to the two 10 mm fuse bolts.
Good job. Somehow my text got cut off The large ALT fuse powers the AM1 and AM2 fuses. Glad you got it sorted out.