Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Toyota tundra SR 4wd: 2001 Toyota tundra 4wdr sr5, pulled

Customer Question

2001 Toyota tundra 4wdr sr5, pulled up to close to landscaping, got out, went inside left lights on. It ran the battery down, would not start, tried to put to put in neutral, gear shift on column broke, key will not turn. Took lower screws from console out, and pulled down. Unscrewed the screw below steering wheel, for the steering column cover. Was able to get the screw towards left side behind steering wheel off by turning the wheel into the right position, tried the right side screw behind steering column. But the steering column locked, preventing me access to that screw. Now battery dead, steering wheel locked, key won't turn, and gear shift broken. Looking behind the covers could see where the gear shift is connected to a cast aluminum bracket that mounts to column, which is broken away from column. There is what looks like a Teflon wheel which inserts into a recess of another bracket on column, it also has other things attached. What can I do!!! Limited finances, on disability, was going to try to charge battery.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Unfortunately with this issue here you will most likely have to have a lock smith come out to see if they can free up and rotate the ignition to get the steering to turn to unlock the steering lock to access the components that are broken needing replaced.I don't see any other way to correct this here.
Thanks Pete