Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Sequoia: My 2001 Squoia is stuck in*****

Customer Question

My 2001 Squoia is stuck in*****
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if it is stuck in 4 WD HI or 4 WD LOW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is stuck in 4 Hi The orange light is blinking the floor shifter will allow me to place into four low and back into four high I am going to try tapping the actuator now and see if it will loosen it up I will have the vehicle in neutral while some one is pushing the four wheel drive button on the dash
Tap on the back of the transfer case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do, will update you as soon as I am done
The sequence is as follows: The switch commands the transfer case actuator to move. This then sends a signal to the front actuator. The actuator moves into position. After that happens, the actuator sends a signal back to the transfer case that causes the shift to happen inside the transfer case.
If the transfer shift motor is stuck (very common), the light will blink as the actuator has not received the signal nor did it send the movement confirmation signal back to the transfer case. Tapping on the case sometimes causes the sequence to restart. DO this in neutral, park brake on, switch form 2wd to 4 wd and then tap on the back of the transfer case with a mallet. Please do not beat on it; the aluminum case is not strong; it will crack. It is a lot better to do this if all 4 wheels are off of the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried tapping on the transfer case while in neutral while switching between four and two wheel drive but no change what should I check next?
I would recommend you take it to a place where they can raise the vehicle up off of the ground. Then repeat the process, but this time. tap in neutral, shift to 2wd, then put it in drive and allow the wheels to turn a bit. This is exactly what we would do if your vehicle was in our shop. This really sounds like you have a stuck transfer case shift motor. Since the lights are on and blinking, I would not think you have an electrical problem in the 4WD computer or anything like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not hearing the actuator engage or turn at all from the front add or the rear actuator on the transfer case Is there anything else i should check before putting the vehicle in the air I am working on this at home and the will take some doing
Check the 4WD fuse in the fuse panel under the dash. It is probably Ok though.... One thing that will stick the actuators: different tires. If you have 3 tires with wear on them and one new one, or different types of tire (even though they are the same 'size"), the 4wd system will bind up and prevent the actuator from moving. That is whey we raise them up. The circumference of the tires are critical. If one tire is 85 inches around the tread, and the other 3 are 84 inches around, the 4WD will stick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the fuse the tires are all new matching set, I will put the truck on stands if that is not the problem, I will also check all of the contacts on the front ADD
Ok. That is a good plan.
Make sure there is power coming to the transfer case wire connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do
ok