Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Solara: I have 2006 solara v6 that has tire pressure blinking,

Customer Question

I have 2006 solara v6 that has tire pressure blinking, abs, vsc, Trac off and brake dash indicators all come on at the same time, intermittently. When this happens I notice abs is indeed off. Lately intermittent has become full time. What could be the issue?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tire pressure indicator stays on all the time so it may be unrelated.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The tire pressure indicator is on most likely due to a failure of the tire pressure sensor (if you have silver valve stems where you inflate the tires). This is a very common problem. They are easily broken by people who change tires or impacting a large pothole or road condition. ALl Toyota dealers have the means to check each of the sensors to determine which one is malfunctioning. The ABS/VSC and TRAC OFF lights are on because the system has not passed its self check. This means that theres is a sensor or actuator that is not performing at the desired level. Speculation on this would be expensive; we do not want to replace good parts. My experience here leads me to state that you probably have a failed wheel speed sesnor, which is a very critical input to the ABS/VAS/TRAC system. A good scan tool withthe capability to interface with this system will reveal diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). Once you get the car scanned, and you know the DTCs, further diagnosis can be done. Without a scan, we are left to guess what might be wrong. I do not like to guess. Guessing causes needless expense. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to get two scans. One on the tire pressure sensors, and the other on the ABS/VSC?Trac system. Once you have that information, I can assist you further in what the remedy will be; or, the tech doing the scan will do the same thing. Either way, the scan is your next step in determing what we need to do to fix your issues. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This doesn't really explain why all these lights, including Brake, come on simultaneously and also disappear for long periods simultaneously. This is not a matter of each of these lights indicating what the light says because much of the time they are all off and the car is just fine (except maybe the tire pressure) and sometimes all lights come on. They never come on on their own. I will run the scans too but this seems like some other condition.
The lights come on whenever the sensor input, or, the actuator output drops below the desired threshold. Wheel speed sensors are notorious for this. The sensors are basically magnets. If rust gets on the face of the magnet, it will not 'count' the teeth on the part of the wheel hub that spins. This causes the lights to come on as the RPM signal is lost. When this happens, the lights (all of them) illuminate. wheel speed sensor rust issues can come for a bit, and then disappear for a bit. This is a very common problem. Additionally, there can be debris built up inside the hub where the counting gear spins. A good scan tool, attached to the car and the problem occurs will easily find the issue if the problem is caused by a wheel speed sensor. One will be notably lower than the other three. Also, anytime the light s are on, a code should be stored in the ABS system ECU memory. Look for History or Pending codes if the lights are off during the scan. This should help you out immensely.