Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Scion xb: 2009 scion XB loses power and starts chugging and

Customer Question

2009 scion XB loses power and starts chugging and occasionally engine dies. Has only 60,000 miles. 5 speed manual. Throws no codes. happens randomly.

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Some of the more common causes of a stalling condition/rough running on this vehicle would be a bad mass air flow sensor, air or vacuum leak, bad ignition components (plugs or coils), bad crankshaft position sensor and or an issue with the variable valve timing system. THe first thing to do is check the oil level and condition. The VVT system is very picky and can be affected by low or dirty engine oil. Sometimes an doing an oil change can and will help this system funtion better as this systrm works off of oil pressure.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
If that checks out good, then your next step would be to check the ignition component, mass air flow sensor and crankshaft position sensor. Also, dont forget to check for air/vacuum leaks as this is also very commom as well. If need be, you can check engine vacuum to make sure that the engine is breathing good. It should be close to 21 inches of soldi steady engine vacuum at idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already said I changed all the fluids.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today. It has been a pleasure working with you. RegardsCustomer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Oh, and it is possible that the air fuel ratio sensor is going bad causing this rough running condition too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My good faith deposit is based upon you reading my message and paying attention to what I have already done.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The variable valve timing solenoid and actuator on this engine can stick even after the engine oil has been changed causing it to run rough and stall at times as well so you may nee to replace those.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
2009 scion XB loses power and starts chugging and occasionally engine dies. Has only 60,000 miles. 5 speed manual. Throws no codes. happens randomly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are NO codes. So it is not a bad sensor. Maybe a fuel pump?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
This is all I see in your initial post. Nothing about the fluids. Also, keep in mind I am just trying to help you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, it could be a bad fuel pump but not very likely.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
But just because there are no codes does not mean all of the sensors are good
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You can check the fuel pump by checking fuel pressure using a fuel pressure tester
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my initial post right at the top of this page it says I have already changed all the fluids keep in mind if you give me suggestions according to what I've already done it makes it way more confusing
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry, but I dont think it came through on my end. It might be an issue with the web site
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Anyway, I do work all day today. If you have any further questions, please post them here and I will try to respond at luch time. I will also be on line later tonight after work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
If you dont have any further questions and I have answered your question, please dont forget to rate. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK that is a bummer I will look at all your replies again and follow up with a couple more questions later today have a great day thank you for your time
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Lyle,
I am on break for lunch just checking to see if you have any further questions or need any further help? If so, please let me know I will be happy to help.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You haven't provided any solutions. Only general blanket responses. It is professional to say " I dont know."
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Lyle,
Sure I have provided you with some valuable information. All of which are VERY COMMON ON THIS VEHICLE.
Were all of these items/components I mentioned replaced? If not, then you have some work ahead of you. In addition, how do you know my answers are not correct or going to fix the problem? You wont know until you get in there and do the things I had recommended.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.
.