Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Tacoma: Over the last three years my 2009 Tacoma every once

Customer Question

Over the last three years my 2009 Tacoma every once in a while you start it and then it dies a start try to start it back up at dies it's like it's not getting fuel. It's like the fuel pump is not working but you can hear the fuel pump kick in but if you wait about 10 minutes it starts right up and will run for three or four days without doing it again. Any ideas
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Experience in this area could be several things. More often than not, the electrical connection at the top of the fuel tank (where the wires for the fusel pump and the sending unit attach) get corroded. This will cause a loss of power to the pump and cause this problem. Removal of the tank is required to inspect the top fuel tank wire connector. If you have the resources, removing the bed is actually easier than dropping the tank if you do not have access to a hoist. or, you could let a shop with a hoist drop the tank. Look for blue-green corrosion inside the wire connector. If so, it needs to be cleaned out and di-electric grease (electrically conductive grease) applied to protect the terminals. If this was an older vehicle, I would suspect the Circuit Opening Relay was bad. But, since it is a 2009, this would be really rare. However, the cost of speculation on replacement of the C-O relay would be up to you. They run about 50 dollars or so if I remember correctly. You might want to go that route first, as a bad C-O relay will stop sending power to the fuel pump. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer