Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Prius: i put a new auxilary battery in my 2002 prius, it worked

Customer Question

i put a new auxilary battery in my 2002 prius, it worked for awhile but now it is dead again
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingAfter installing it how long did it last and approximately how many miles?Is it driven every day or does it sit parked for a long time?Do any warning lights stay on while driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ted
it has lasted for about 1 week, with driving off and on. Not more than 20 miles in neighborhood driving. My daughter has been
driving it to go back and forth from the library and to her friends house. She does not go out every day. Sometimes it sits parked for a couple of days. When I put the new 12V battery in, no lights came on and the car drove fine. In the last couple days before the battery went dead, the check engine light and the red triangle came on.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
It could be that the battery is not getting charged up enough because of the little time it is driven. this can also cause the check nd triangle lights to turn on, especially if they have gone off now, the battery is charged at a very slow rate of less than 10 amps by the inverter unit, there is no alternator, if you have a trickle charger, charge it up at about 15amps for about 5 hours and see if it lasts longer, if so it may be a good idea to leave it connected at 5 amps when not in use.