Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Camry: , I have a 1999 Toyota Camry V6 that when

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1999 Toyota Camry V6 that when the engine is cut off, both radiator fans continue to run until batter runs dead. If I have power on at ignition they cut off.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also replaced the following and the problem persists:
Relays (1-Main, 2 & 3), Fuses (RDI, CDS).
When each is pulled the fan will stop running but when replaced the fan turns back on, all while the power is turned off at the ignition. Turning power on at ignition will turn the fans off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also replaced the (Thermal Switch) located at the bottom of the radiator. I thought this was the ECT but ended up being a different part.
NOTE*** When I removed any of the other parts the fans stop running. But when replaced they start running again. When the Thermal Switch is disconnected, fans run and stop running when reconnected with new or old part. I've determined that the ECT is located where the bottom radiator hose connects to the engine area. I guess I'll try that.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the fans will start running again if you disconnect part of the circuit at night and then reconnect it in the morning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To turn off the fans at night and to keep from draining the battery I disconnect the RDI & CDS fuse/relays. I just plugged them back in and the fans turn back on.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
With the car turned off and the engine cold will the fan relay number 1 click when you reinstall it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car is off and engine is cold and I removed and reinstalled Fan Relay 1. It does NOT click but fan still runs.
Fan relay 1 is the large relay and not the same size as fan relays 2 & 3.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Were the fans still running with that relay removed or did they stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One fan stops running when Relay 1 removed but turns back on when installed. The other fan stops running when Relay 3
Is Removed but turns back on when installed. Both relays have been replaced already and were the first steps attempted. The old relays have been reinstalled since they were considered good.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Last question. Just to verify neither relay will turn both fans off, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. One relay removed causes one fan to stop working. Other relay removed causes other fan to stop working. Both fans run continuously (when car off) when relays are in.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
I have been having some issues with my schematics for your vehicle. I do not want to delay you any further. I am going to opt out and allow someone to help you faster.