Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

SR5 extra cab 4x4: code 12 engine light toyo. V6

Customer Question

code 12 for check engine light toyo. V6 pick up truck? been on for 12k miles, thought a mechanic told me EGR problem, can't remember though.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question.
A code 12 is saying that the ECU isn't seeing a signal from the distributor when the starter is cranking.
This could be a distributor problem, a problem with the wiring from the distributor to the ECU, a problem with the starter wiring, or an ECU problem.
Has anything been changed in the wiring to the starter, like an alarm system? If you've been driving it for 12,000 miles it has to be getting a signal from the distributor to the ECU or it wouldn't start and run.
Pull the EFI fuse and keep it out for 30 seconds. This will cancel the code. Then let's see how long it takes for the check engine light to come on and for it to reset the code. Let me know what happens and also if it's got anything added like an alarm or a starter cut out switch and we'll figure this out without spending a ton of money.
DJ