Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2010 Venza electrical system has gone completely dead twice

Customer Question

2010 Venza electrical system has gone completely dead twice over a four month period, but when jumpers are applied car starts even if cables are removed within three minutes of jumping. Have had system checked out only to learn battery, alternator and starter are operating correctly.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
No Toyota vehicle will run without a minimum of 10.5 volts DC powering the electrical systems. If you can jump it, and it starts, you are feeding the correct voltage to the vehicle. When it stops running with the jumper cables, you take the needed specific voltage away. This leads me to think that although someone claims the alternator is good, they are very incorrect. The battery might be ok, as the jumped power is traveling thru it. I would recommend that you verify the ground wire form the battery to the body; make sure it is good and tight/free of corrosion. The same with the battery terminals. The battery ends where they meet the battery may be corroded under the wire insulation . This would prevent the needed voltage; replace the terminals if corrosion is visible,. even just a bit. My opinion on this issue really seems to lead me in the direction that your alternator is not producing either enough voltage, amperage, or both. I would recommend a new alternator be fitted to this vehicle, based on your explanation of the issue. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer