Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

The remote 2010 Rav 4 does not unlock or lock the door

Customer Question

The remote for my 2010 Rav 4 does not unlock or lock the door all the time. I tried the other remote that came with the car when I bought the car new in 2010. That remote has been in the house in a dresser drawer since 2010 , and the same thing happens when I use it. What do you think is the problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have no other electrical faults in the vehicle this sounds like the door lock receiver/control ecu itself is at fault here causing this issue.This receives the signal to lock and unlock the doors wireless.I have seen some of these fail before and had to replace it for this issue here.This will need tested further to be sure this is the cause.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** your reply. I have no further electrical faults with my Rav4. You mentioned the cause could possibly be the door lock receiver/control ecu and also mentioned that this will need tested further. What will be the further test needed?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line yesterday.
You will need to have the fault codes checked in all computers using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set as this will help pinpoint if the receiver is the cause.Also the scan tool is used to monitor the data in the receiver to see if a lock and unlock signal is being detected by the remotes.This is usually done by a dealer or authorized repair center as they have the correct tools and scan tool to do this.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to get the fault codes checked next week and then get back to you .
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.
Thanks Pete