Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Corolla: 2009 corolla, new battery and new alternator. Pre-start

Customer Question

2009 corolla, new battery and new alternator. Pre-start battery voltage is about 12.1. Line voltage measured at battery or alternator at 2000 rpm is about 12.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chris, thanks for reply. problem persists. alternator was changed a year ago which corrected the charging problem then. last week the batt light came on while driving. Car was not charging (shows 12v at 2000 rpm at the battery which load tested good. An inductive pick-up ammeter on the big wire from the ALT to BATT showed about 25 amp which seemed low to me so based on this and the low voltage reading at the BATT, I replaced the alternator Car starts normally (reading 12.7 v at battery before starting) but charge light stay's on and I'm seeing only 11.9 v at battery at 2000 rpm after it runs for a couple minutes. My ammeter now show's no amps flowing from alt to batt. Could I have had 2 bad alternators? wiring is all clean and tight, checked ground from neg batt to frame, etc. terminals on battery are clean and tight. no voltage drop between alt and batt or batt and fuse-link in main box under hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
If you are using cheap aftermarket alternators, it is possible the alternators are bad. Can you use the files below and perform the charging system tests? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/09corollachargewire.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/09corollachargediag.pdf You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, here's what I got from your drop box link: Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.I'm very unhappy with the service. I requested a call because I felt a brief discussion with an expert could get things resolved. You would have learned, for example, that I installed a Toyota OE alternator, not a "cheap aftermarket" unit. I wasn't advised that phone service really wasn't an option till 24 hrs were burned up even though I indicated that I'd accept text messages as well. So after 36 hrs, I have nothing but a dead page link and your request for good feedback? And, o yeah, a bill for what, 28 bucks? Guess I should have just gone to the dealer in the first place. john