Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Hey Chris my a/c is having problems. I runs cold

Customer Question

Hey Chris my a/c is having problems. I runs cold for awhile then it gets hot. My freon level is fine. Also sometimes I smell a rubber like scent from it. What can the problem be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please alow me to assist you. This sounds very much like a pressure issue. If the pressures are too high inside the AC unit, the compressor will slow down (and cause a rubber smell cause the blt slips) and eventually the pressure will cause the AC clutch to no longer have power (the AC amplifier removes a ground form the AC realy to be exact). The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the AC pressures check with a good set of AC system pressure gauges The 2 gauges will tell a lot about what is the problem and how to proceed on rectifying it. Without pressure readings, you will be guessing, and guesses cost needless expenditures of money. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my input, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.