Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

I have an 04 Toyota sienna and the speed odometer does not

Customer Question

I have an 04 Toyota sienna and the speed odometer does not work
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.
Are you available to discuss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at the moment will be back at the shop on monday, I have replaced the ecm, speed sensor, and have checked the cluster and it works ok, checked in another van
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm available to discuss if u are
Sorry, internet service was on the fritz. Check the signal wire from the ABS ECU. Look for it to be grounded or to have 5volts, it should run from the abs ecu to the cluster to the ecm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't have a wiring diagram for abs ecm can u send me one
Here you go:
http://tinyurl.com/ordc3jv
Look for the gray wire at the abs ecu marked as SP1 on the diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need more information haven't heard anything since my phone request
Did you get the wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I did get the diagram and there is no 5 volt ref signal @ gray wire
Is the wire shorted to ground? That wire should have the 5v coming from the ECM itself, then the abs ecu will ground the wire in pulses to let the ecm and the instrument cluster know the current speed, if there is a short to ground then the signal never travels through the system properly. If there isn't a short to ground anywhere, then go to the ECM to see if it is sending the 5v out.
Were you able to find it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which wire is the one coming from the ecm
Ok, look at the following wiring diagram, look at the ECM and you will see (Page 76) a violet with white tracer wire, marked SPD on the ECM, that wire goes to the combination meter then to the skid control ECU as shown on the first diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no voltage coming from the violet/wht wire from ecm
Find out if the wire is shorted to ground, if not then the ECM is not sending out the reference voltage and must be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I'm just getting back with you I've been on vacation, the violet and wht wire out of the ecm has 5 volts and @the connector to the combination meter there is 5v with the connector disconnected but when I plug in the combination meter I lose the 5v.
Your cluster is shorting out the speed wire, replace the cluster and you should be good to go!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had put that cluster in another van just like this one and the speedometer worked in the other van
We need to track down what is grounding the ECM signal wire, and causing it to lose it's 5 volts. If you know the combo meter is good then you need to disconnect from the ECM and start tracking down the short to ground, I believe that wire goes down to the driver's kick panel and goes through a connector there before it goes under the hood to the ABS ECU. I would disconnect from the ECM, then check the wire for ground, you should see ground, then disconnect the connector from the abs ecu and see if you still have ground, if you do not then the abs ecu is grounding out your circuit, if you do still have ground then disconnect the connector in the kick panel ( I will get that exact info for you), and so on.
Ok, that is a bigger 24 pin connector (the kind with the black lock you must flip up to open.