Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Tacamo: Anthony-We have a 97 Toyota Tacoma with 262,000

Customer Question

Hi Anthony-
We have a 97 Toyota Tacoma with 262,000 miles. Had trouble starting…we put in a new starter. Now it mostly starts but every now and then it won't! And it varys from won't start at the gas pump after filling up, to won't start 1 hour after being turned off. Any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This can be a fault with the electronic ignition switch not sending a start signal intermittently.I have seen this switch act up before and can cause an issue like this here and had to replace the switch.If this has not been checked/tested this should be done when the vehicle is acting up to see if this is the cause here for sure.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Pete…appreciate your response although I am not impressed with this service due to the time lapse since my initial inquiry! In the time that has passed we ended up taking it to the Toyota dealer figuring they should recognize toyota problems. They told us our "new" replacement starter was an after market and wasn't working! So we paid for another one and haven't seen any problems in the 6 days since. Should it start up again I will pursue the electronic ignition switch. Thank you!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.I apologize for the delay once again and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.
Thanks Pete