Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Tacoma: Tail lights not working.

Customer Question

Tail lights not working.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you haven't already inspect the wiring leading to each tail light itself to see if any wiring is found damaged in any way at all.If a wiring issue is found it will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.if this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No obvious damage seen to wiring but since wires are all encased in flex tubing it is, of course, difficult to tell. Tried two new bulbs to be sure -- no effect. Replaced fuse even though nothing appeared wrong with the exiting fuse -- no effect. Checked voltage at the tail light socket and there is 0 volts at the tail lights "button" in the socket, but there is 12 v at the brake light "button" when brakes depressed Brake lights work. All of which indicates no problem with "-" (ground) at the tail light socket, right? As mentioned, there is 12 v at trailer terminal (factory installed as best I can tell) when headlight/tail light switch turned on. I have also checked voltage at the fuse block "tail light" position and at the tail light relay. Both show 12v when light switch is on. As mentioned, I have also switched around the relays with relays in circuits that are working - no effect.The fact that both tail lights are not working suggest that if there is a wiring problem it is in wiring before the spilt to the two different lights -- wouldn't you agree? I don't have a wiring diagram, but can you suggest where some obvious places to check might be?Probably not related, but only 1/2 (drivers side) of the two license plate lights work. I replaced bulb in the passenger side license plate light that was not working, but still not working (probably unrelated but I thought I should mention it since the license plate lights are on the same circuit as the tail lights).
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Below in the link (copy and paste it into a new web page or browser to view it) is a diagram of the tail lights.If the fuse has power this eliminates the relay circuit having any issues and this does sound like an issue with the wiring leading from the fuse (most likely close to the fuse) at fault needing located and repaired.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j4dbhxow8chr4w/tail-07-13.gif?dl=0
My info isn't showing me the splice or junction points leading from this fuse but it looks like one main area is right at the fuse itself.
Thanks Pete