Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2006 Toyota sienna mini van. Sometime when I start

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Toyota sienna mini van. Sometime when I start it, it won't go over 30 miles an hour. I turn it off and after I start it a couple more times it is fine. This afternoon I was idling for about 5 minutes with the air conditioner on and the idle dropped. The check engine light is on. I have had the timing belt changed, new battery, new starter and new throttle assembly all within the last 8 months. Any idea what this problem is?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night while I was driving it the acceleration dropped. While it was idling in park with the air conditioner on, it shook and acceleration dropped.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like you have a sticking valve or solenoid in your transmission, and the check engine light is probably illuminated because of this condition. You may also have a P0500 speed sensor code. The recommendation here would be to have a transmission fluid flush. A complete flush, not a drain and refill. Then have the facility doing the flush add a can of transmission fluid 'conditioner' to loosen up sticking valves and solenoids. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my input on your request, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this the reason my acceleration drops while I am driving, or idling? I almost had an accident when I turned on the highway!
If you have a bad speed sensor, you will get all kinds of problems based on incorrect signals. The speed sensor is a very important component of the transmission performance