Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Sienna: Sienna 2006 I think I over charged the ac system with

Customer Question

Sienna 2006 I think I over charged the ac system with one of those part store cans. I released some gas but the pressure is up high in the red of the gauge. No cold air from system. Compressor has vented gas twice on its own. Thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. To be honest, those parts store charging kit do more harm than good. Ading additional freon to a functioning system actually causes too high of pressures and the compressor works harder. Then the pressures cause the AC high pressure switch to open, which shuts power off to the compressor. In short, a host of problems. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to take this vehicle to a shop and have the entire AC system evacuated. This will remove the entire freon charge form the system. Then they will reintroduce the exact amount of freon that is needed to restore functionality. New style R-134A AC systems is heavily dependent on the precise amount of refrigerant to be in the system. Too much is bad, and too little is not good. The freon needs to be introduced by weight (the put the can on a scale and measure out the exact pounds and ounces). Guessing on freon charges is not good. The system needs to operate in a very specific set of pressures (low and high). The evacuation and proper recharge should get you back in proper operation. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my input, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thank you for choosing Just Answer.