Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

4 runner: Replaced timing belt/water pump assembly on 3.4 four

Customer Question

Replaced timing belt/water pump assembly on 3.4 four runner 2000 model. Starts up and runs perfectly at idle. Dies when you give it gas. It's perfectly in time, now what?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Does the check engine light turn on while it is running?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
There are a couple of things to check without having a code reader:Make sure the cam angle sensor at the front under the plastic cover is bolted on and check the electrical connection.There is a ground point on the intake plenum on the river's side, make sure the 10mm bolt for all the ground wires is tight. Check the crank angle sensor connector as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all that is good. Replaced cam sensor, checked for power to sensor, that's good too. Vehicle runs at a higher RPM but wants to die at minimum applied throttle. Replacing fuel filter next. No check engine light yet...
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm traveling today so there's no hurry on my part, will check back later today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs but still has a dead spot in the throttle. Does a timing belt need a little break in time? No check engine light coming on. Another question, is there any kind of filter in the fuel tank that could be an issue?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replyThe timing belt doesn't need break in time. There is a fuel strainer in the tank in addition to the filter located underneath on the driver's side mounted to the floorboard.If you are getting higher rpm I don't think the fuel delivery is an issue.Do you have a way to check what happens to the engine timing when this happens?