Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 toyata tocoma it has a check engine light on

Customer Question

i have a 2003 toyata tocoma it has a check engine light on all the time. once i had a mechanic plug in one of those hand held computor diagnostic meters, he hit a button which made the check engine light go away for about a day. i forget what he said it
was , but i do remember him saying it was not something to be overly concerned about. a vacuum line , a sensor , i don't remember , sears sells a hand held diagnostic computor for 120 , i could buy, your recommendation ,thank you. i have to drop the fuel tank
to change the fuel filter and or fuel pump , right or wrong , thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingYes the fuel tank has to be dropped down to replace the fuel pump.A diagnostic code would help a lot, a diagnostic scantool is a good investment, you may need it more than just once, I do have one myself for personal use. You could also go to an autoparts store and they can help you get the codes at no charge in most states.Either way when you have the code number information you can let me know and I'll be glad to help you figure out what to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you does fuel filter replacement also require dropping fuel tank
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
No, on the V6 model the fuel filter is underneath mounted to the floor board on the driver's side, on the 4 cylinder it is mounted directly under the intake manifold toward the front of the engine