Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camry LE Sedan, 4 door: I am still having cooling system overheating

Customer Question

I am still having cooling system overheating problems with my 1996 Toyota Camry 2.2 L, 4 Cylinder, 5SFE Engine. Just flushed entire system, replace external reservoir, and replaced the thermostat yesterday with new coolant, and currently has had the following cooling system items replaced within the last year: Radiator and water pump. Both electric cooling fans are operating, but the temperature gauge still rapidly climbs into the red only after just 15 minutes of driving and idling. Outside air ambient temperatures are hot about 98 to 105 degrees F.
Help requested from Tucson, Arizona!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please allow me to ask if there is heat at the heater vents when the temperature gauge goes up. If there is no heat, you have an air pocket in the cooling system and this would require the cooling system to be bled. If you have good heat output, replace the radiator cap and retest. Additionally, are you using the genuine Toyota Red Coolant? If you are, you need to mix this coolant 50% coolant and 50% water before pouring it into the cooling system. 100% colant (red or green) will cause the car to overheat. If you have any questions. please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my input, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated....thanks