Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Camry XLE: I have a 2011 Toyota Camry XLE w/3.5 liter

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Toyota Camry XLE w/3.5 liter engine, 25k miles, keyless ignition. No wrecks or repairs other than regular scheduled maintenance. All fluid levels are good, fuel cap is tight.
A few days back I parked the vehicle in the garage and turned it off. The dash lights and parking lights remained on for a couple of hours; then until the battery was drained. The next morning I charged the battery and noticed the dash lights were on, along with the check engine and battery lights. (I had turned the light switch to off instead of auto) Then I brought the key fob into proximity and it was recognized. The dash, check engine and battery light remained on. I depressed the brake pedal, the starter button turned green. I pushed the starter button, the starter/engine never turned over. Read through the owner’s manual & couldn’t find a solution.
Called a dealership service department & they said it was possibly the battery. I replaced the 4 year old factory battery with a new higher amp one. Same results.
Current situation is; battery is charged, dash lights remain on. Check engine and battery lights are on. Starter button turns green in starting sequence, but will not turn the engine over. I’ve tried holding the button down for 20+ seconds, no difference…no start.
Any suggestions other than having it transported to the dealer?
Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer Please allow me to assist you Thsi sounds like one of two possibilities. The fitst is a problem with the contacts sticking together inside the headlamp switch. Disconnecting the headlamp switch would be the course of action there. if the lights go out, replace the head lamp switch. The second issue (if the lights do not go out when disconnected) would be to remove and inspect the electrical transfer device Toyota calls an integration relay. This unit is attached to the back of the fuse panel under the dash. This is not easy to do. If the Integration relay is bad, it can and will allow power to flow when switches are not on. It can also impede electrical imput form the starter button and cause it to not work. Since it is green, I would be inclined to think that the button unit is good. The recommendation I have for you is to disconnect the headlamp switch wire connector. If the lights go out, replace the headlamp switch. If not, remove and replace the integration relay box that is attached to the rear of the fuse panel under the dash. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my input, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. This raises the question of whether or not I could connect a scan tool (like a Bosch OBD1200) and get a fault code reading in its current state? Will the vehicle have to be started to download the stored fault codes into the scanner? Thanks
No. This is an electrical issue. The park/panel lamps are not monitored via sensors, so, no scan tool will help diagnose this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the headlight switch and with a new fully charged battery, same results; dash lights on (no exterior lights illuminated with the headlight switch set @ DRL OFF position), climate control panel illuminated, Check Engine & Battery remain on. I contacted 2 dealerships seeking a 'integration relay box'. One said they didn't show that part listed for the VIN & that would have to have the numbers off of the unit itself. The other gave me a part number for the cabin fuse 'junction box'. Is there possibly another name for this component, or are we talking about a junction box? Thanks
The unit in wyluestion attaches directly to the fuse panel under the dashboard. It is unique, as it interfaces with the option level of your car. There are several different ones. To obtain the correct one, it would be best if you remove the fuse panel and get the 10 digit identifying part number off if the unit. Toyota refers to it as an "integration relay". It could also be called a "body computer". Different terms for different regions.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my input, please award a positive rating. I would greatly appreciate your generosity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the cabin fuse panel and cannot find any other electrical components 'attached' to it. It is a beige polymer encased/sealed assembly and measures app. 5" x 7" x 3" depth. There are 15 wiring harnesses's that plug directly into both the front and back of the unit. There is no other electrical box closely remote to this unit as all the wiring is bundled going either back through the firewall or heading throughout the cabin. There is no 10 digit number located anywhere on the unit. There is a bar code label adhered to a location close to the fuse access with; *2Y2J0VK* 031311. This 'junction box' (what dealers have referred to it as) has weight enough to know the unit has internal components. My dilemma is not the $660. replacement unit cost or the overnight freight to get it here from 6 states away, but want to be certain this unit contains the suspected failed circuitry. Your suggestions, please? Thanks
Let me check into this. I'll get back to you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any findings? Almost 24 hours past our last communication. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have sent an e-mail request to rate your service for compensation. The fee has been paid and there are still unanswered questions! Where are we at? I will gladly rate the service once we have re-established communication. Thanks
Sorry for the delay. We had violent storms here (and continues right now); lost internet for many hours. Before you start replacing 600 dollar parts, start disconnecting the unit you speak of. When the stuck on dash lights go OUT, you have found the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your last e-mail response didn't make it to my inbox until a couple of days ago. I'm still where we left off on this situation. I have the fuse panel (as previously described) removed & can access you to pictures of it as an option. There are no body computer/integration relays (per images researched online) anywhere close to this unit. If I reinstall the removed unit, re-power & start unplugging the 15+ harnesses how will we identify the faulty plug circuitry? There are no plug location designation markings?? Harness ends are not interchangeable, also not identifiable?! These are my questions/concerns, thanks.
Sorry about the delay, your message just got to me. Must be traffic issues here. Let's do this: Please look at the back side of the fuse panel. Is there a long narrow connector with about 30 pins on it, all in a single line? If so, the integration relay is part of the fuse panel, and not serviceable seperatly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response, must be slow traffic as I just got your message. On the backside of the fuse panel there is a long narrow connector with 33 pins in it, but they are in 2 rows & not a single row. 5 other long narrow connectors on the front side, but all are double rows. No long single row connector plug on the entire unit.
Your narrow connector with 33 pins is the connection between the car and the body computer/integration relay. Newer cars have this unit built into the fuse panel. Earlier models have them detachable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So this fuse panel contains the alleged failed circuit creating the issue?
That would be my impression. If this car was in my shop, I would be replacing the fuse panel before i did anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm ordering one, next day air, should have it installed by Wednesday. Thanks, I'll be in touch!
Ok. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have installed the new Toyota fuse panel. I have the same no-start symptoms as with the original. No changes. Now where are we at? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to continue this communication without having to be redundant. I'm not looking for free information and willing to pay the associated fees. Please direct me on how to flow within your system without having to repeat the history. Ready to go on this end!! Thanks-Randy