Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Highlander: I have a 2006 hybrid hylander. Last night

Customer Question

I have a 2006 hybrid hylander. Last night I was at a friends house after driving it around earlier in the day without problem. When I started it up to drive home, I received the VSC Check Hybrid engine warnings. I was able to drive the mile home. It started up this morning. Although not as dire warnings, it still says check hybrid system. Is it safe to drive the 45 miles to the nearest Toyota dealing to leave it for service?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting, does the check engine light also stay on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was on this morning, I just went back and started it and now there is no check engine light at all???
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replyIt may only be an emission control related issue, the check engine light will almost always turn the check hybrid light on as well. Was anything done recently (oil change etc) fuel filled recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I put gas it in last Tuesday. I did tighten the gas cap after reading that can be a problem, as I had noticed a slight gasoline smell in the garage. It was on, but had not been turned to the point of clicking which I did.
I am going to try and take it to Reno which is 45 minutes away and hope for the best, ***** ***** Check Hybrid System nor any warnings are coming on now,
My dog was in the car doing who know what, plus we have had rodent issues in the past with them chewing things as we live in the mountains.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the good news is that the lights went off so it's not a hard fault code, maybe the cap not clicked on three clicks caused it, best of luck on your trip.