3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified tech
6166830

Toyota FJ Cruiser: , a month ago, my alternator failed, so

Customer Question

Hi, a month ago, my alternator failed, so I had it replaced. Now, a month later, my alarm goes off and the key box transponder works (I changed the battery) but I can't get the alarm to stop. I can't start or move the car.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
hi try this lock all the door then use the key to open the drivers front door if that do not stop the alarm lock all doors again then use the key to open the rear hatch let me know please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi;
goes
I tried that, no luck. I used the key to open the car on the driver's side, and now on the rear door as advised. The doors open obviously, but the alarm goes off once the doors open and I am unable to get it to stop with the transponder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other advice???
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
do you have an after market alarm system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this is the factory installed alarm system that was installed with the vehicle. Is it possible to disarm the alarm? I am really in a bind and have to travel for work in the morning?I really do appreciate this.Paul
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
do the alarm go off when you lock the doors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, when I use the key box to open the door, no alarm until I manually open the door. it stops in a couple minutes. When I use the key box to lock the door (Enabling the alarm) the doors lock, but the alarm goes off, then it stops by itself after a couple minutes.Paul
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read somewhere that the LED red light is actually a factory reset button for the alarm. Any validity to that? Is there a factory reset button somewhere else?Paul
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
no reset for this the remote and door lock should reset it
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
open the window lock all door then put your hand thou the window and try to start the car do not open the door
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
if this work open the door with the car running then turn it off and try the normal way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try this, I will open the windows, then shut the door. When the alarm stops, I will attempt to start the car. I will be back in 5 minutes.Paul
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I opened the window, put the key in the ignition, waited for the alarm to stop. I used the keybox to disarm the alarm as normal, it chirped. I then reached in and attempted to start the car, it did not work, the alarm went off again.I should mention that I do have a check engine light on, but my mechanic says that is the catalytic converter that needs changing, he said I would not pass inspection, but that problem would not leave me stranded on the road. I hope the two are not related.Paul
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm still goes off and I cannot start the car.Paul
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
i will have to opt out at this point and see if someone else can help you better because i have no other answers for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clifton,What happens next, will someone else message me?Paul
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.
yes they will just do not reply to me and give it a few minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clifton;I was hoping to hear from someone, can you help connect me with someone?Paul
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clifton;It seems that your advice worked. I went to empty the car and the alarm did not go off once I used the key box. I was able to start the car after all.Thank you very much.Paul