Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Corolla: 99 prizm (corolla in chevy badges) is driving me to

Customer Question

99 prizm (corolla in chevy badges) is driving me to drink....cooling fans run continouosly-- with key off. Turn key on...they quit.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my other question is....if I do have to change the ECT sensor...how do I do it? it is buried behind the intake manifold tubes and unaccessible with a wrench or socket.
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
What are the voltage and ground readings at the relay? Key on and with key off.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which relay ? and which terminals? There are several relays (fan 1, fan 2, fan 3, and "a/c mg") The five bladed relay I replaced with new one and nothing changed. The other two are four blade and I switched those....everything stayed the same.
I see, thanks.
.
Actually the fan No. 1 relay, terminal 25, (blue/black wire). Just want to see if there is a ground there or power, (<12v)
.
Here is a location for the relay, number 9 in the diagram.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7cp1xepbblmpo8/RELAY%20BLOCK.gif?dl=0
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will check. I sent pics of the relays. The brown one is the one I changed out with new. didnt help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is ground there at terminal 25....key off and key on.
I see, thanks and good job checking. The relay normally won't power the fan with the key off. Was the fan control switch the one that you replaced? (in the thermostat housing)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. That was first thing I did. I took it out and it tested bad. I tested new one before I put it in. It did test good. but, no change...fans still run with key off.
That does sound like the relay, (fan #1) but here is a test for it to be sure.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5ht8q9mhkury5v/Fan%20runs%20continually.gif?dl=0
.
Also, the wiring diagram.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh2d50bxlonc2us/Fan%20relay%201.gif?dl=0
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the wiring diagram from dropbox--- but the test procedure doesn't seem to be there. I click on that link and the page it takes me to is blank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my email is ***@******.*** if you cant get it to send by dropbox.
Sorry, let me reformat it to a PDF. Thanks
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a568700bq8ivmx/FAN%20WIRING.pdf?dl=0
.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I got the download on that round. It looks similar to the one I had stumbled across on another site for Prizm. Like I explained at the start....Both fans run with key off. I would say they are running at the high speed by the sound of them. So even when I pull the fan 1 relay, fan 2 (air conditioning fan) continues to run until I pull the fan 2 relay.
That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
.
*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********
.
.