Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2.7i: i have a toyota hilux 2.7i 3rz-fe that was runnig

Customer Question

Hi i have a toyota hilux 2.7i 3rz-fe that was runnig fine all of a sudden it dies out ,it cranks well but no fire on plugs we even changed crank sensor ,according to auto elect.computer is not picking up key code what can.Many Thanx Andre
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingThe engine does not start at this time at all is this correct?What was the diagnostic code number the last time it was scanned for codes?Is there an aftermarket alarm/theft deterrent system installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct it does not start.
no idea what the code is.
alarm everything still orig.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply
Do you have a volt meter or a 12 volt test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** key on and measure voltage at the B+ connector in the diagnostic check connector under the hood, should be 12 volts. Does this engine have two coils or a distributor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
two coils
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
OK, measure voltage directly at the plus side of both coils with the key on, one wire on each coil should have 12 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is all 12v
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there is no factory installed engine immobilizer system on this year Tacoma, there is something else wrong, you verified that there is no spark, there is power to the coils and you have replaced the crank sensor, it could be a cam sensor as well, I can't tell you to try a bunch of things that "may" be the problem and replace 'this or that', this wastes your money and my time, if there is a way you can get me some code information from the computer using a code reader I could probably have an answer for you within minutes, if you are not able to do that then I will have to opt out of the question and see if someone else can help, let me know how you want to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok let me see if i can get you some fault code tomorrow as it is a bit late now, if it suits you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to the auto electrician is that the computer box or transponder unit does not recognize the key.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
That would be great, I'm online most of the day. ThanksCan you attach a picture of the key that you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do it is the orig key im using all the time the one with chip in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a picture of the key.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got the picture, if the black part of the key is about 1/4" thick then it's an immobilizer key, this is a 2000 Tacoma? Do you live in the US or another country?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in south africa
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that explains it, should have asked earlier, there was no immobilizer system in the Tacomas until about 2004, if you can get me the immobilizer code it would help. From what you've told me so far it seems the computer is not recognizing the key, it could be due to a bad sensor coil which is mounted around the ignition or an immobilizer ECU malfunction and more things like that. I'll look into this a little more and if I do need the code I will let you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then ill here from you tomorrow its just before midnight need to get some rest but thanks so far.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Was the ignition switch replaced recently or anything done as far as electrical system is concerned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the ignition barrel, keys and transponder unit approx.4 years ago and it was purchased from toyota agents other than that nothing else except for crank sensor the vehicle was running beautifull with no signs of failure it swtched off on her own and after that no fire(spark).
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try to get the diagnostic codes for me so I can be a little more sure what may be going on.