Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Camry XLE V6: I have a 2007 Camry XLE with the VSC light on.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Camry XLE with the VSC light on. I only have 70,000 miles on this vehicle. What is this and how much will this cost. I am retired on a fixed income and I am not in a position to pay much for repairs.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place... Unfortunately, there is no easy, 1-answer, "it's this..." kind of answer to your question. When the VSC light comes on, this is alerting you to a problem with the "Vehicle Stability Control" System. This system is used on events of inclement weather to assist in under-steering or over-steering (like hitting a patch of ice, slippery road surfaces or water, etc...). For over-steering situations, the VSC system determines that the over-steering is large, it activates the brakes for the outer turning wheels depending on the degree of the over steering to produce the moment toward the outside of the vehicle and reduce the over-steering. For under-steering situations, the VSC system determines that the under-steering is large, it controls the engine power and activates the rear wheel brakes to reduce the under-steering. So, unfortunaely, as you can see, there are literally dozens of parts/sensors/solenoid/modules that come into play here, any of which, when faulty, can set the VSC light. So- at this point, we'll need to have the Diagnsotic Trouble Codes retrieved from the on-board computer. These codes will point to the part/sensor that has the problem and from there, the correct diagnostics can be run and the correct repair made. To obtain the codes will require the use of a scan-tool that can interact with the VSC System. Most shops these days have the correct scan-tool. As for driving the vehicle- it "is" safe to drive the vehicle. The vehicle will handle and respond just as well as it always does. Just be a little more careful in inclement weather (just like we all used to do when we drove vehicles before the invention of VSC! LOL!). Please remember, your rating is required. Leave a rating using the rating system at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.