Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

Corolla: Hey, 06 corolla, 208k miles, barely leaking oil from

Customer Question

Hey, 06 corolla, 208k miles, barely leaking oil from timing belt tensioner on the back of the engine. My mechanic replaced it and struts-$860. Now, the engine has a whine that goes up and down with RPM's, starter sounds like it is grinding and the mileage went down. All this started as soon as I drove it off mechanic's lot. Could this be related to this replacement? Car ran great when I brought it in.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Before we begin I need to find out fr sure about the tensioner. On this engine it is located on the front of the engine so I wounder why he would have said rear. If it is indeed the tensioner then yes, this can be causing the noise. If it is was not aligned right or tightened properly then it will make a noise like this. I would take it back ASAP as this can cause engine damage if it fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on the rear of the block. He showed me while the car was on the lift. It is a small "plate" about 4" wide and 6-7" high.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Did he say it was the rear main that was leaking or the tensioner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he said it was timing belt tensioner
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It does not make sense to me as the timing chain tensioner is on the front of the engine unless you mean on the back like between the engine and the firewall and not the back by the transmission. If that is true then this makes sense and can leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not on the front but on the passenger side right at the back and it is the timing belt tensioner. Why would this cause the problems I described? Also, the mileage has gone down about 5MPG since then.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Yes. This is the location of the tensioner and if it is leaking it can cause the chain to be loosen whch can cause all of these issues and can eventually fail causing serious engine damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not leaking
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
In your original post you said it was leaking. Either way if it is going bad it will cause the issues you are having.