Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Toyota ignition key problem

Customer Question

maybe so, I have an interesting ignition key problem with my 01 Tacoma automatic v6 only has 300K on it runs great
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I'll start over, I cannot turn my ignition key off all the way, engine stops but key stops on accessory. If I disconnect the battery
positive cable then I can turn key back to on then it will turn off all the way and I can remove the key. Then hook the battery back up reset the alarm and I'm ready for next trip. Its an 01 Tacoma V6 automatic Prerunner SR5. I'm not sure if its a factory alarm or not, I'm thinking its an after market?? I bought the truck with 100K odometer.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
An after market alarm system wired incorrectly or that has an internal electrical fault with it can cause this issue here.In most cases I try and bypass the after market alarm to see if this corrects the fault.
If this does not correct the fault this can be an issue with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail before and had to replace it for this fault here.
Thanks Pete