Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Sequioa: the drivers front of my 2004 toyota sequoia seems

Customer Question

the drivers front of my 2004 toyota sequoia seems as it wont disengage i jack up the driver tire and you can feel a bind and the shaft from the transfer case spins but not on passenger side
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
The wheels, hubs, and axle half shafts on this model are splined together with no hub locks. When the wheels are turnings, so are the axle shafts. If there is always driveline power getting to the front wheels even in 2wd, this means there is a ADD actuator or transfer case issue. Can you go into more detail on the driving characteristics? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the front end has felt a little odd while driving also heard a clicking coming from the front drivers side which lead me to jack it up and try turning the wheel to see what was causing the noise upon rotating the tire u could feel it bind and that's when the shaft from the transfer case would turn i tried the other side and it did not do the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the lower ball joint same side as the problem was replaced about 1 month ago i drive a lot the car has has 247000 miles
On jack stands if you run the vehicle in 2wd and 4wd can you hear and find the source of this noise. This seems more like a axle shaft joint type noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the front rt drivers side the wheel is binding and causing the half shaft to flex making the noise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wheel bearing is good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cv joints are tight and no play
I recommend removing the axle shaft to check the CV joint while out and the bearing while the shaft is removed to see if either is to blame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try that tonight
Super